The Final Drop in craft of the summer will send the kids back to school in style! Stop in and make our bird pencil topper, and use it to top one of our Lonsdale Public Library pencils! (while supplies last)
For our science friday this week, enjoy a fun recipe for a playdough using Easter Peeps! The whole family can create together!
Valentine’s Day is coming soon! Although we are open to the public again (Yippee!), we are not doing in-person programs yet. So, we will be putting together packets of fun for pre-readers and readers. Each packet will have coloring pages, worksheets, a craft, a recipe to try at home and some candy! You can pick them up in the lobby of the library starting at noon on Friday, February 12th. They will be there until we run out.
This week’s science project is a fun mix of craft and science. This project from Scholastic has kids gluing pasta or glue shapes in a recurring pattern, a chance to learn about geometry and make something beautiful.
It’s week four! This week our theme is royals and knights. There are lots and lots of great books on that topic, so now’s a good time to check them out.
Here are some sing-along versions of this week’s songs:
Welcome to week three! Can you believe we’re almost half-way done? This week we’re doing some projects related to mythology and tall tales. Do you have a favorite?
We do still have some week two packets. Look in the box behind week three.
Want to give your Little Red Riding Hood some friends?
Little Red Riding Hood, wolf & woodcutter crafts
There are lots of examples of gnome and fairy gardens online. Here are a few tutorials that might be helpful if you decide to make one.
These aren’t exactly the same as our solar distiller project, but very close:
We still have a limited number of week one packets so if you couldn’t make it in last week, come on in. We have ordered more supplies, so if you need a supply packet of crayons, scissors and glue stick, they will be available soon. Remember, you will use these supplies all summer long and then they are yours to keep.
Not exactly the same as our project, but similar enough to be useful if you’re looking for inspiration: Making a maze with straws on YouTube
Remember that we are not doing in-person programs this year. Refer to previous entry for more details. Instead, each week there will be a new packets of worksheets, coloring pages, crafts and activities for pre-readers, readers, and teens.
Feel free to drop by the library whenever is convenient for you and pick up your packet from the entryway. A few notes:
- Please register by calling the library at 507-744-3977 or using this online form. These registration numbers are important for us to plan and get funding.
- Week one packets include a reading log. These are to encourage you to read and have adventures all summer long. Please do not return them to the library this year.
- Week one packets also include a book. Please choose your packet and book without opening the packet. If you have questions about a book, ask a library worker. The book is yours to keep!
- Craft supplies packets are also available. Please take one if you need it and plan to use it all summer. Note that there are two types of scissors depending on your age.
- You may want to wipe down the outside of the packet before opening.
- Check out the videos below for more information and craft demonstrations.
- When you have finished your crafts, we would love to see them. Share in comments or on our Facebook or Instagram!
Fire-Breathing Paper Roll Dragon Video
Note that this demo uses a hot glue gun. If you choose to do so, please use a hot glue gun only with adult supervision.
Rabbit too easy? Try this: