Be a part of our board!
The Lonsdale Public Library Board is looking for a member starting in May. It’s a great way to get involved in your community!
What are the responsibilities?
- Attend a monthly board meeting every month on the third Wednesday at 6:30 pm
- Guide the goals and strategies of the library
What are the qualifications?
- Live in Lonsdale or Erin, Forest, Webster or Wheatland Townships
- Care about the library and the community
You can download the application HERE or pick one up at the library or City Hall. Thanks for being part of our team!
You know you can check out books at the library. You know you can check out movies at the library. You know you can check out magazines at the library. You know you can check out e-books at the library. But now you can also check out Beanie Babies at the library! They were so excited that they ran all over the library having fun.
Celebrating our birthday!
Doing a puzzle!
Reading a book together!
They can’t wait to visit your house and see what kind of adventures you can have together. Stop by and check one out!
We are now on YouTube! So far we’ve posted a few science experiments, because we love science! Who knows what we might produce next!
Lonsdale Public Library on YouTube
Do you think an egg can bounce? Your library staff investigated a book called How To Make a Bouncing Egg by Jennifer L. Marks. It says that if you leave an egg in vinegar for three days, the shell will dissolve but the membrane will thicken enough that the egg will bounce if dropped from an inch or two high.
As you can see, the shell does dissolve.
And by day three and four, the egg does become rubbery.
For the video with results, you will have to check out our Facebook page.
If you have kids, please take our brief survey about childrens’ programs at the library. We would love to have your input.
Computer tutoring at the library
Join us for one-on-one computer instruction. If you need help getting started with computers in general or need to learn about a particular program, we would be glad to help you. You name the topic, and we’ll work together on one of our computers.
Our volunteer tutor is available on the third Wednesday of the month from 3-6 pm. An appointment is strongly suggested. Please contact the library at 507-744-3977 or email Marguerite Moran to schedule your session.
Some topics that we can help with:
- Computer basics: What’s this mouse thing for again?
- e-mail basics
- Microsoft Word
- Excel (spreadsheets)
- Internet search strategies
- Getting started with Overdrive (e-books)
Are you a computer whiz who would like to help teach others? We could always use more volunteers.
Free the DVDs! We have some new policies that you may enjoy. We have lifted the three item limit, so you can check as many DVDs as you think you can watch in three weeks. You can also now return DVDs in the book drop. Get ready to binge!
We have two opening for volunteer positions to influence the future of your library.
Lonsdale Public Library Board
Help shape the library as a member of our board.
- Attend monthly meetings to oversee the library’s budget and operations
- Interview and hire new employees
- Advocate for the library in the community
Board members are appointed by the Mayor. You must be a resident of the city of Lonsdale. Please fill out this application: City Board Application and return it to City Hall.
SELCO Advisory Board
Help influence library services at a broader level by getting involved with our regional library system.
- Attend quarterly meetings to oversee SELCO’s budget and operations
- Serve on committees to shape the region’s future library services
- Advocate for libraries
Lonsdale’s SELCO representative is appointed by the Library Board. Please contact the library if you are interested or need more information.
Meet our new(ly designated) story room and study space. Formerly a seldom-used small meeting room, the story room has been re-envisioned as a fun place to relax and play or buckle down and study–your choice!
- Join us here for story times Tuesday evenings and Friday mornings.
- Kids and families can play and relax here anytime the door is open.
- If you want a quiet space to study or meet, you can sign up at the library on a first-come, first-served basis.